“Begin friendly. Begin by finding common ground, or don’t begin at all.” – Jeffrey Gitomer
We all have them: customers we struggle to connect with.
Our call starts with the customer’s arms crossed and them asking, “What’s up?”.
The customer’s style is transactional. We struggle to build rapport.
“Before we get started…” can help.
Insert this phrase after your opening, but BEFORE you get to business.
It only takes a little preparation & creativity on your end:
- “Dr Meredith, there are 2 ideas I want to run by you, but before we get started…I saw the residents just named you best teacher. How did that come about?”
- “Dr Jim, I’m here to follow up on _____, but before we get started, Amy told me that your daughter just left for college. How’s that going?”
- “Dr Thought Leader, there is a resident training idea I want to run by you, but before we get started, I saw on the hospital website that you are leading a new committee. What’s that all about?”
- “Dr Dan, the last time we spoke, you asked me to look into_____. But before we get started, I heard you just ran your first half marathon. How did that go?”
“Before We Get Started..” is a tactic that will help:
- Build rapport.
- Expand your time.
- Give your ideas a better chance of being heard.